Wednesday 15 June 2011

Stop the Merry go round I want to get off....

So it’s official… Cute NEW Guy has to be renamed just Cute Guy, because we have made it past the one month mark, and I'm guessing he isn't gonna like it if I call him Cute Old Guy.   I can’t tell you how amusing it is, to be going through the BS at home, and having someone who can match and sometimes even top your teenager stories…. OK - I'll admit his topping my stories hasn't happened yet...but it COULD...
We had a chat about how much fun this past month has been, having someone to talk to that gets the Hell that is being a single custodial parent of teens…. at least we're reasonably sure we aren't going to shock each other with the stuff we're going through with the kids or with our past dating horror stories etc.

That leads me to today’s dilemma…. More than two weeks ago I signed off the dating site ‘Merry-go-round’ as he calls it, but they continue to send me matches and winks and other lame-o crap. I will admit, right out loud, I was THAT KID on the Merry-go-round who got motion sick and barfed off the side... I'm feeling a little like that right now actually....The day after I closed my account they sent an email from a man on there.  I tried to open to respond and say I had found someone interesting, but you can’t respond without signing up again…

Now I don’t know about you, but isn’t that sort of a shitty thing for a site that touts itself as being single handedly responsible for More Marriages than the Pope to do?  Shouldn't they have your profile hidden or off there or something?  It's just wrong, and leads to a constant upgrade mentality... let's say you have a big fight with the guy you're with... having a full in box of other potential matches could start to give you the idea you can just trade him in....
Let’s look at this from an evolutionary perspective…. Men are WIRED to want to spread their seed… So… I can only imagine Cute Guy is getting the same notifications.  He is an extremely smart man, so I suspect he's discarding them the same way I am, but what if he wasn’t as smart as he is pretty…  
The business of finding someone a match is great if that’s truly the intent, but we all know the actual “business” of the website is to make money… how do they do that?  By selling you a membership to the site and throwing people at you hoping someone will stick. 

IF you're lucky enough to actually find someone great, they're hoping you'll tell your lonely, unlucky or loser, shut-in friends to try THEIR SITE as opposed to E-Melody, who is also sending me a ream of junk mail even though I closed my profile there as well.
  So… Do they really care if you find the love of your life?  Well, they do, as long as you spread the word... and if you don't find anyone, they'll keep promising you that love is right around the corner and take your money for all eternity....Kinda a win/win.  For THEM.

For the moment I’m someone they’re never getting any more money from, unless I have screwed up again... or if curiosity about who it was who emailed me gets me so juiced up that I part with my credit card number…. NOT!

I give them full credit for giving me the opportunity to meet Cute Guy but it's the two of us who are making the relationship fun.... and I hope we're laughing together far into the future... it's pretty cool to find someone who "gets" my sense of humor but knows when I need a hug.... I know we're all shiny and new, but right now we fit.
Thankfully I’ve got a very long memory, and won’t soon forget playing “Douche, Douche, Loser” with my sons as we flip through the pictures of my potential matches….

Later...

No comments:

Post a Comment