Monday 20 June 2011

Jamaica me Crazy...

Well, it was Fathers' Day weekend, and as I told you earlier, I lost my wonderful dad Christmas Day... that means this year is full of difficult firsts for me.... I have to say, my dad was among the best.  He was kind, considerate, funny and just a great guy to be around. 

The fact that there are two of these firsts inside a week has made for some moments of reflection.  Fathers' Day, closely followed by my birthday....

My mom and sister are here visiting from out of town.  Mom is staying with me, and my sister is staying with a friend, so I haven't seen much of her.  That gave mom and I some time to bond and chat, and because she mixed up the date of an evening engagement she had planned, I dragged her along to a social event on Friday night...

Cute Guy invited me to an annual party some friends of his throw to celebrate the husband's Carribean heritage.  This couple is warm, kind, and just a joy to be around.  They're the perfect embodiment of how sometimes exactly what you're looking for in a partner, can be wrapped in a different package than you expected.  The husband is a shorter guy, probably standing around 5 foot 5 or 6, and his wonderful wife is around 5 foot 11 I would guess.  He is dark skinned and eyed and she is a willowy blonde... where they're alike though, is their sense of humor and warm, welcoming spirit.  

I accepted Cute Guy's invitation to come with him because mom was planning to be at a concert with my sister that night... but she had the date mixed up... the wonderful, warm couple told me to bring my mom along...   Because my dad was a real social animal, their home was always full of friends and laughter.  My mom is still getting used to living alone, eating alone and sleeping alone after having someone there for over 60 years.

This party was a lot of fun... Jamaicans know how to do it up right.  There was a ton of food, lots of laughs, some Bob Marley on the stereo and a ton of booze... Our host was half in the bag the entire evening, but managed to keep himself mostly upright, and could still carry on a pretty good conversation.   Cute guy and he flirted with my mom, and had a bunch of the other men at the party over talking with her for a good part of the night.  She's 83, so there wasn't too much danger of her getting into much trouble, but she enjoyed the attention. 

The most interesting part of the evening came when a couple Cute Guy knows from his son's soccer team were chatting with us.... 

Wife: "So, how long have you two been together?"

Me: Looking at Cute Guy... "Well, we started dating about 5 weeks ago..."

Cute Guy:  "Yep, we met on Friday the 13."

Husband:  "Oh.  So really new."

Wife:  "Well, how did you two meet?"

Cute Guy:  Looking at me... "Online."

Wife: "No.  Really.  How did you meet... through friends?"

Me:  "Really.  We met online."

Wife:  "Come on.  Really."

Cute Guy:  "We REALLY met online.  Really..."

Wife:  Helplessly looking to her husband for a rescue... He looks at her with the same look...
"Oh.  Wow.  I didn't think that ever happened... I have a friend who's been internet dating for 5 years and hasn't found anybody...." As they're both wondering what's wrong with us I'm sure....

Me: "CLEARLY she's on E-MELODY!"  I didn't add that she's probably still wading through the stupid Must Have/Can't Stand section....

After a couple of repeats of this, I told Cute Guy we totally need to come up with an interesting story of how we met, because people who have never been through that special HELL can't understand how it can work... then again, anyone who is currently IN that special Hell probably doesn't believe it'll work either... especially if their last meeting was with someone who is 150 pounds heavier or 20 years older than they looked in their photo....

I'm gonna have to give our initial meeting some thought, although when people share their internet dating horror stories it just means I have more to talk about here....


Later....

No comments:

Post a Comment