Wednesday 20 April 2011

Whew! An internet dating virgin no more.... Ok - A Born Again virgin...

So my date wasn't a complete failure... guy was very nice, and we managed to kill a couple of hours without awkward silences.  The fact that he is the best friend of a very good friend of mine probably helped quite a bit... it gives lots to talk about without having to venture into long drawn out dialogues about the weather or how we feel about rice pudding or anything like that. 

Getting to the date, however, was a little less than stellar... I suddenly panicked on the walk over when I realized while we had exchanged some witty banter over the internet, and we had exchanged pictures, the fact that his are all from 100 miles away was going to be a problem... each step closer was a little scarier given I was going to walk into a bar looking for a guy I had never met.... my resolve faltered a little when I got just outside the restaurant, and I broke down and called my friend/his friend to ask what he looked like... ok... first mistake.  I asked a GUY to describe another GUY.  "Well, he's a little taller than me, he has ears, and  uh... oh shit!  I should have asked where he was sitting." 

Thankfully, I had told him I was a redhead and what I was wearing, so when I saw the guy over by the fireplace waving, I hung up the phone and introduced myself.  Thankfully, he turned out to be my date and not just some guy waving for the waitress, although that might have been funny.

We had a conversation about the weirdness that is internet dating... We both assessed it's rather like a really intense job interview.  You know the kind where they ask you questions to see if you know anything about the company... In this case though, it can be people who really expect you to remember something that stood out in their profile among the sea of BS they put in... like "I'm a glass half-full kind of person, life is great and I enjoy skipping hand in hand through daisies"...

We exchanged some anecdotes about the dates we've had... me a couple of years ago when I tried it and he, more recent stories.  I'm happy to say there are women who are a little "off" as well.  He told me about a date he had a while ago, where they met for a drink and dinner.  Apparently during the course of their dinner she "DROPPED SOMETHING"... and as he's telling me that he's making SUPER BIG air quotes... evidently, she went right under the table and had her hand shoved up the leg of his shorts....Not sure how whatever it was she dropped ended up there......

I didn't ask how that date ended. 

While he's a really nice guy, and we had stuff to talk about, there didn't appear to be any chemistry for me.  I confess, I was totally hoping for the same sort of experience as they always feature on their TV ads... you know the ones where they interview the happy couple who met on their website, and BAM! they just knew this was the person for them....Maybe you have to pay extra for some premium package that actually gives you 30 or 31 dimensions of compatibility rather than the regular 29.....

So my gorgeous friend decided to join... um... let's just call it "E-Melody" too.  She hasn't used it before, and being a shoot from the hip sort of girl, she thinks it's very odd so far.... you don't actually get to do a search and choose the people you like... they feed matches to you.  THIS is gonna be interesting... her first comment to me was "Ok.  Seriously?  How do I delete the guys there is ho hope in HELL I'm gonna meet for a coffee or anything else?" so I told her about the handy dandy "Archive and Close" feature...

Later

No comments:

Post a Comment