Sunday 24 April 2011

Easter Feast or Famine

I decided to cook Easter dinner on Saturday, because it seemed the best day to give the time I needed to devote to cooking a turkey and trimmings... thing is, I miscalculated.  I told my sons about dinner, but currently they're brains are bathing in way too much testosterone.  It's so thick in this house it's dripping off the walls most of the time.  They're pretty, and funny, thoughtful and kind but they're boys.  BECAUSE they're pretty and funny, and have jobs, the rest of their time is devoted to their very full social calendars, and as much as they love me, I am no match for that.  So, I made a beautiful turkey dinner, they descended like a hoarde of locusts with an extra friend for good measure, and left mayhem in their wake about half an hour later.  They were out of here by about 7 o'clock.....So... I had time to look over my latest crop of "matches", archive and delete all of them.  I hope it's not that I'm being too fussy, but I want to be more discerning than I was in the past.

This Easter weekend, the site elected to send me 21 profiles to peruse, one of which is for a man who actually lives in the city, and unfortunately there's nothing in the profile that catches my eye.  The remaining profiles are for men who live at least a couple of hours away despite my having said the distance factor is "VERY important" to me.

The handsome prince has behaved as predicted... I am guessing he decided I'm the one with the hunchback.  Sorry to say, this isn't a Disney movie where he turns out to be a loveable cad, and I will catch his eye by putting on a pretty dress and glass slippers.... Maybe I should try a glass dress and pretty slippers... THEN I might get attention...but with the body being nearly 50 not 25 it might not be in my best interest...

Candidly, I'm glad there was no response from him.  I don't imagine we really would have had all that much in common, and he really needs to back slowly away from the hair color... the highlights are a bit much.  I was curious though, to see if he knows my friend, who was an international model.  She is without doubt, one of the more grounded people I know despite her very glamorous past.  She is a single mom of two boys as well, and I really enjoy spending time with her.  I keep hoping the glamour will somehow rub off on me, but so far, no luck...
 

Back to the long distance angle here....I have no aversion to considering a person who lives far away, except that it would sure make meeting awkward.  How do you do that first date?  If you decide to meet halfway between, or if you have a guy come here, or you go to him, how do you actually manage that with any grace?  What expectations are set if you have to travel somewhere to meet him and condense your time into a weekend or something.  I think it would be dangerous to do....Long distance is difficult at the best of times, if most of your communication is in writing... even when you have a good foundation of friendship and love.  It changes conversations and allows both parties to misinterpret things that are said.  You find you attribute a tone of voice to the other person that may or may not be true, and you let things go that should be discussed because you don't want a misunderstanding to bleed into your limited time... and then you end up with your heart broken, and your vision of the future shattered. 

I read a recent post that says you should be telling all your friends you're open to be fixed up on blind dates... since my record CLEARLY shows I'm incapable of picking my own partners, that's a definite possibility.  Maybe my friends can see better what it is I need.... 
I'm not limiting myself to internet fix ups, although it's easier to blame an algorythm than a real person if a date begins and ends horribly....

I find it curious that most of my friends, both male and female seem to have no nice, single, male friends... is it really ME they're trying to protect?   When they tell me I deserve someone "SPECIAL" I just hope they don't mean Special like in the Olympics....

No comments:

Post a Comment