Monday 4 July 2011

...and the Verdict is?

Well, the votes are in, and Cute Guy is, actually, CUTE!

We made it through his second "sniff test" as he calls it... meeting my friends who have a vested interest in me being happy...another analogy to the dog park I guess, but fairly apropot...

When we first started seeing each other, I invited him to a party with my college friends... we had been dating exactly a week, so while he was delightful and charming at that party, neither of us was sure whether or not we were going to "stick", so it was sort of a no pressure litmus test... More to see if he'd be able to deal with my "magpie" nature.  You know, easily distracted by shiny things... I figured being in a room FULL of my broadcasting buddies would expose whether or not he could deal with that non linear thinking that is my hallmark pretty quickly.  He seemed to enjoy himself, and they all seemed to like him, so that was encouraging for me.  He even handled himself with grace when one of my close friends from that group basically told him he'd better take good care of me... "or else"... Or else what, I'm not sure.  My friend is not a confrontational guy, but throws a great party, so maybe it meant he wouldn't get an invite to the next gala...

He met my sons and there were no halting silences or awkward conversation...

My turn came next, when I had my first exposure to his world, meeting his kids, and then shortly thereafter going to the very entertaining Jamaica party with his friends.

This weekend though it was the first small group introduction.  I had one of my very best friends, Miss "L", her husband and 3 year old, little "C" over for a barbecue to celebrate the long weekend.  CG managed to keep everyone entertained, including me, as I put together a nice dinner.  The guy can tell a great story, and has a quick sense of humor, so even my friend's husband, who is notoriously quiet with people he doesn't know well, even threw in a couple of his own stories.

After dinner, we decided to put on a movie so the little man would be entertained.  CG and I were sitting on a couch together, when little guy decided he wanted to sit with us... that, of course made great points for CG... he made a big joke of it, asking if Little C was "muscling in" on his woman, and then added to the adults in the room "Well, I guess I'm gonna have to stop trashing all the emails from "The Site... if you're leaving me for a younger man...." 

How am I so sure things went well with Miss "L" and her family?  Well, about half an hour after they left, I got a text telling me how great they thought he was, and even more importantly, that they thought he was "Perfect" for me...  I guess that was her way of saying he's a "little bit special" too...

So back to the point about THE SITE...they are STILL sending both of us matches and notifications, even though we are shut down.  We're going to have to figure out how to block the messages, because that could be a cause of suspicion down the road.  Really... I wonder how many fights are caused by residual emails and matches coming in after you've shut 'er down on the site... and how would that even come up...

"Um, Skookumpups, I saw that you were listed as active on THE SITE within a week... WTF?"

The answer would inevitably be:

"Really Darling?  And WTF were YOU doing on the site... checking up on me, my little "stalker"?"

It doesn't make for great pillow talk.

Anyhow, being a long weekend and all, I was given my own more intimate "sniff test" the following night when we ran into friends of his at the golf course.  Right now I'm trying to drop that extra 15 pounds that seems to have settled into my belly and thighs, so while they enjoyed beers I had a soda water... I do better with a beer under my belt, but I kept the two husbands entertained while CG was regailing the wives with stories of our dates... This time at least, we weren't looked at like martians when we admitted having met online... one of the wives knew someone who had met her husband the same way... whew!

The only question about my dating status that I've found more uncomfortable than the "How did you guys meet?" question was asked about a year after the alcoholic and I split up.  I was at a party, where one of the married guys I didn't know came up to me and said "You're really gorgeous, and you seem pretty smart and you have a great sense of humor, but I heard you're still single, what's WRONG with you?"... of course my head is going a mile a minute trying to determine just what IS wrong with me...

I was so taken aback I couldn't even answer.  You know how those answers come to you about an hour after the conversation, and you're going "I SHOULD'VE said ______?"

Well, I came up with the perfect answer for that... 

I should've said "F*CK OFF!" but of course that witty retort came to me after the moment had passed....

So, today's lesson is actually NOT for the singles out there, but rather for their married friends... STOP asking stupid questions, making stupid comments and stupid jokes about your friends who are single....

Why? Because unless you're in a perfect union, there is that chance something could happen to your relationship, and you could end up on the receiving end...


Later....

No comments:

Post a Comment